Tuesday 29 November 2011

NDLEA intercepts 4.1kg of heroin in cooking pots



Officials of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) have apprehended three suspected members of a drug syndicate in connection with unlawful importation of 4.1kg of heroin from India.
The drug, hidden inside cooking pots, was discovered at the arrival hall of the Murtala Muhammed International Airport (MMIA), Lagos, during a routine search.
It was allegedly imported by a suspected member of a drug cartel who was caught during the screening of passengers on Qatar Airline flight from Dubai.
According to the NDLEA Airport Commander, Hamza Umar, the suspect, Nwokeocha Bartholomew Chimezie(43), was apprehended by NDLEA officials when the drug was discovered.
Umar said: “The drug, which was hidden in cooking pots, was found during a search and the passenger, Bartholomew Nwokeocha, was arrested.
“Another suspect, Chidozie Alawoba (30), who was at the airport to receive Nwokeocha, was also apprehended.
“Also, in a follow-up operation, Akeem Iyanda (46), another suspected member of the syndicate believed to be the pointman of the drug cell in Nigeria was arrested.”
Chairman/Chief Executive of the Agency Ahmadu Giade described the operation as satisfactory.
He said: “This is a product of careful management of operational intelligence. This is very satisfactory and inspiring.
“The man who brought the drug from India was arrested together with two other members of the cell.
“Our target of arresting all persons connected to drug crime and bringing them to book was achieved. More arrests are in the offing.”
Nwokeocha is an auto parts dealer in Onitsha, Anambra State.
He travelled to India on October 26 and left India with the drug to Dubai on November 11.
The suspect is married with three children and his wife is expecting. He hails from Aro-Ndizuogu in Imo State.
He said: “I went to India for an eye surgery. In the process, I met a friend who gave me the cooking pots.
“He told me that it was a gift for his sister in Nigeria that just put to birth.”
Alawoba was deported from Libya in 2009. He is single, lives in Lagos and hails from Orlu in Imo State.
According to him, “while I was in Libya in 2007, one of my friends who lived in India called me on phone that I should assist him.
“He asked me to receive the luggage from Nwokeocha and give it to Iyanda.
“I do not know both men, I was only executing my brief.”
Further investigation led to the arrest of Iyanda, who is believed to be the final recipient of the drug.
He told investigators that his friend in Bombay called him that he had sent a luggage to him.
“My friend in India called me that he had sent a luggage to me. I met the man in 2008 when I travelled to India”. Akeem who lives on Lagos Island with his wife and child hails from Ibadan, Oyo State.
All suspects will be charged to court soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment