Thursday, 2 August 2012
Syria conflicts: UN-Arab League envoy, Kofi Annan quits from duty
The UN's special envoy to Syria, Kofi Annan, is leaving the post, the UN has announced.
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon said Mr Annan had decided not to renew his mandate when it expires at the end of August.
Mr Annan authored a six-point peace plan for Syria which was intended to bring an end to the fighting.
But the plan was never fully adhered to by either side and the violence has continued.
Meanwhile as the civil war in Syria continue without an end in sight,, rebel fighters near Syria's city of Aleppo have attacked a key army base, using a tank seized from the military.
The rebels say they bombarded the base to the north of Aleppo, which had been used to launch artillery and air strikes on rebel positions in the city.
In Damascus, government forces launched two operations to root out rebel activists on Wednesday, killing at least 70, the opposition has said.
Troops reportedly went from house to house demanding to see people's papers.
Activists say the soldiers summarily executed many of their victims.
Syrian state TV said "dozens of terrorists" surrendered or were killed in the operation.
Opposition commanders in Aleppo said they used a tank captured from the army to bombard the Menagh air base, which lies between Aleppo and the rebel-held town of Azaz near the Turkish border.
Their claim was backed up by the London-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights and an AFP news agency reporter.
The commanders said government forces had been using the air base as a staging post for attacks on nearby areas.
It is one of the first uses of heavy weaponry by the rebels in the city, who are heavily outgunned by the military.
Bloody footage
Culled from BBC
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment